We love tassel garlands because they are bright, airy, easy to make eye-catching and quite affordable. No wonder that they become a staple theme for any holiday or party. You may use any scraps including tissue paper, yarn, fabric, or even suede or leather to make them. Besides, such garlands are reusable so you can decorate your house with them on any occasion. Just use a steamer to get rid of the wrinkles and your garland will look new again. So, if you would like to have fun and make your party colorfully decorated on a budget, we will give you some ideas and hints.
How do you tie a tassel?
There are several ways of tying a tassel. The technique depends on the material you use – that may be yarn, fabric, or tissue paper. Let’s look at all the options for making tassels for a garland.
Using Tissue Paper
- Cut a paper rectangle of the needed size and place it with the narrow end to yourself;
- Fold the paper rectangle in half along the narrow end;
- Take a ruler and a pencil and line the rectangle into strips of the desired width moving from the free end to the fold;
- Draw the line that is parallel to the crease to fix the depth of the cut;
- Cut the rectangle into horizontal strips without going behind the guideline;
- Unfold the paper, and then start twisting it horizontally straightening the jams promptly;
- Twist the tassel at the uncut part and then fold it in half;
- Wrap the loop you’ve got at the top of the tassel with tape and fix it to the garland string.
- Choose the yarn of the desired length, color, and thickness;
- Cut a rectangular piece of cardboard – the longer it is, the longer the tassel will be;
- Tape a piece of string as a tassel lace to the top of the cardboard;
- Start wrapping the thread around the long side of the cardboard at least 24 times over the fixed part;
- At the last turn cut the string the bottom of the cardboard and tie the two loose ends into a strong knot;
- Cut all the yarn at the bottom and remove the almost finished tassel from the cardboard;
- Take another piece of yarn, wrap the top of the tassel firmly and secure it with a strong knot – you can add glue if you are afraid of loosening;
- Trim the ends of the tassel with scissors to make it neat and even.
- Cut a rectangle of the desired size from the fabric you’ve chosen;
- Cut a narrow strip of fabric, form a loop and fix its ends with glue;
- Draw a horizontal line the fabric rectangle along the wider side to set the guideline;
- Draw the strips parallel to the short end of the fabric piece without going behind the guideline;
- Cut the fabric into lined strips without touching the guideline;
- Glue the previously made fabric loop to the left side of the fringe at the uncut part;
- Roll the fabric by gluing the top at every two turns and you’ll get the tassel;
- Fix the free end of the roll with glue and wrap it with a bright ribbon.
How do you make a garland of tassels?
You can collect DIY tassels in a garland in several ways:
- Secure them on individual laces or threads on a wooden plank;
- Place each tassel on a thin line, string or wire and secure the top with glue, a ribbon, or a thick floss;
- Wrap a long garland string base with tassels and twist each of them (for tissue paper tassels).
Here are some examples of cute tassel garlands that are able to bring the right mood to any interior, party or holiday.
Garland 1. A Cute Yarn Thing
This DIY yarn tassel garland looks very impressive on the wall as it adds some rustic and at the same time festive flavor. You can use both monochrome tassels and elements of different colors or combine various strings.
Check the DIY project here
Garland 2. This Warm and Comfortable Fabric
A DIY fabric tassel garland can be applied not only as a decoration but also as a useful educational toy for your kid if you hang it closer to the baby cot. To make such a thing, use bright fabrics, as well as patches of polka dots or stripes. That will seem rather interesting and entertaining for your baby.
Taken from Guide Patterns
Garland 3. Tissue Paper Tassel
Crepe and tissue paper are great for garland making for several reasons such as low cost, bright colors, and malleability. Thanks to the lightness and subtlety of the material you will get very voluminous and lush tassels that will add color to your party!
Taken from Smashed Peas&Carrots
Garland 4. A Farmhouse Look
Charming and delicate garland of linen lace will add warmth to the interior of any room. These decorations are one of the most up-to-day trends for those who know how to design a house on a budget.
Taken from Society 19
Garland 5. A Bit of Rainbow
Multicolor and harmonious rainbow tassel garland is the very décor for the the most colorful and trendy parties and holidays. You may refuse extremely bright colors if they are contrary to the theme of the holiday as the rainbow pastel palette looks even more elegant.
Taken from Icing Designs
Garland 6. A Glittering Pleasure
When you plan a grand celebration, it is necessary to add more glam and shine to the scenery. A tassel garland is quite ok for the most outstanding events, and you can make it even more luxurious. Use gold and silver shiny foil for the tassels. You can also take both smooth and shimmering materials.
Taken from Cassie Scroggins
Garland 7. Warm&Fluffy
Another charming option in warm colors will look great both as a holiday and as a daily decoration. Combining tassels with a short and twisted base adds volume and expressiveness to this garland.
Taken from The Everygirl
Garland 8. Made of Napkins
Napkins are a great material for those who want to arrange their party in a single style and palette. Make a DIY fringe garland of the same napkins that you prepared for the festive table and enjoy the harmony. This decoration looks equally impressive both indoors and outdoors.
Taken from Tikkido.com
9. A Ribbon Splash Garland
If you’ve always wanted to know how to make a tassel garland with ribbons then it’s high time to try yourself in the art of DIY decorations. Using a plain satin ribbon for the tassels you will provide discreet chic, but if you take a strip of fabric with a different pattern and texture you will get a kind of exclusive look.
Taken from Atta Girl Says
10. Floral Garlands
As a delightful dessert, we present another version of decoration – a DIY tissue paper flower garland. At first glance, the difference between flowers and tassels is quite noticeable, but the techniques of their manufacture are quite similar. In addition, you can combine both elements as you like and create a unique décor.
Taken from thekitchykitchen
And here is how to make tissue paper tassels for balloons quickly and just in a few steps. You can use DIY tassels only in the garland, but also for arranging other decorations – for example, a giant balloon. All you need for that is to prepare several sheets of tissue paper of different colors, scissors, and a long piece of twine or a thin cord.
- Fold all tissue paper sheets in a smooth pile one on top of the other;
- Fold the whole stack in half and then in half again;
- Cut the free ends opposite the fold in even and equal strips;
- Unfold the sheets of paper and, if necessary, trim the strips deeper to the center;
- Unfold each sheet separately and roll them in turn from the short end;
- Fold each tassel you’ve got in half and wrap the loop around a twine or a cord;
- Add tassels over the cord until you get a lush fringe.
How Do You Make a Tissue Paper Pompom?
Another decoration of tissue paper that becomes the most striking element of any festive atmosphere is a pompom. Bright or pastel airy balls help to transform the house and prepare it for the party instantly. And the fact that you can make a DIY tissue paper pompom garland in just a few minutes is also pleasant. You need two components only –some tissue paper sheets of the necessary color and thin wire (you can take a floral one). Then just follow the steps below.
- Fold the sheets of tissue paper in accordion folds, making each fold approximately 1 ½ inches wide;
- Fold a piece of thin wire in half, slip the folded sheet of paper through the loop;
- Twist and tighten the wire and use scissors to round or sharpen the ends of the paper sheets;
- Pull each paper layer out of the accordion, straightening them to form a lush pompom;
- Twist the wire with a strong cord for hanging.
Taken from Pom Pom Factory
Taken from ARTBAR
You may also use pompoms and tassel garlands together to create an airy and bright festive spirit without overloading the room with decorations. Try unusual colors and combinations of materials to make the atmosphere special.